Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
The Florida Hospital Gamma Knife Center was established in 1996, the first in Central Florida and has treated thousands of patients with a multitude of different brain lesions since that time. The largest and most experienced in the region, Florida Hospital’s Gamma Knife Center is pleased to now provide radiation treatment with the Leksell Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ which is a non-invasive brain surgery technique. Florida Hospital Orlando is the only facility in Central Florida using this type of technology.
The Leskell Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ emits finely focused beams of gamma radiation with minimal effect on surrounding normal tissue and without the usual risks of surgery or an incision. Gamma Knife surgery maximizes patient comfort and can be used to treat lesions that before were either inaccessible or were treated unsuccessfully by conventional surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy.
Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ is the newest generation of Gamma Knife, which has been used in more than 700,000 procedures since its introduction in 1968. The Perfexion brings a new level of surgical capabilities to Florida Hospital, allowing our skilled medical team to operate on one or more target areas with unparalleled accuracy, about the width of a human hair.
At Florida Hospital, our multidisciplinary team of neurosurgeons, radiation oncologists, neuro-otologists, neuro-oncologists and interventional neuroradiologists review cases weekly and a comprehensive plan of care is established for each patient’s lesion. Gamma Knife Radiosurgery is indicated when:
- A patient has an unacceptable risk for anesthesia and open microsurgery
- A traditional microsurgical approach might cause significant neurological damage
- A patient has a recurrent or persistent tumor
- A patient cannot safely receive any further conventional radiation treatment
- A non-invasive treatment for a lesion is preferred
Additional benefits of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery include:
- No anesthesia
- Surgery without an incision
- Lower costs than conventional brain surgery
- Minimal discomfort
- The ability to resume normal activities sooner
- The absence of an incision eliminates the risk of hemorrhage and infection
To learn more about Gamma Knife and if it might be right for you, call (407) 303-7944 or contact us.